Apple has finally released iOS 4.0.1 to public which has new improved signal bar calculation to display accurate signal strength, no wonder many users will end up updating to iOS 4.0.1 knowingly or unknowingly. If you have already updated iPhone 3G or iPod touch 2G to iOS 4.0.1 then there is no need to worry as you can still jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5 and unlock with ultrasn0w 0.93.
Like previous guides on iOS 4.0 jailbreak we are once again back with guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 3G & iPod touch 2G on Windows & Mac OS X.
How to Jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G
1. Update iPhone 3G/ iPod Touch 2G to iOS 4.0.1 with iTunes software update.
2. Now start Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5 and click on browse and select firmware iOS 4.0 (note its not 4.0.1 but 4.0 firmware) for iPhone 3G.
3. Click on Next and Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5 prepare data for jailbreak.
4. Now select “Install Cydia” and click Next (If you want to disable multitasking & wallpaper then simple uncheck “Enable multitasking” & “Enable Homescreen wallpaper” option).
5. You need to power of your iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G and connected to computer and click on next button
6. At this stage you will need to put your iPhone in DFU mode, to do this hold “Power” button and then while holding the “Power” button, you will now have to hold “Home” button too for about 10 seconds. Now after few seconds release “Power” button but keep holding “Home” button until installation begins (about 30 seconds).
7: Now just wait until redsn0w completes the rest of the process. Once done, your iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G will restart automatically and you will find it jailbroken with iOS 4.0.1.
You can unlock iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.1 using Ultrasn0w 0.93.