Banshee is one of the most popular open source media player on the Linux platform. The media player is strongly affiliated with Gnome using its infrastructure for Git hosting, issue tracking, mailing list and IRC. The media player is completely developed in C#, using Mono platform on Linux and Mac OS X.
The newest version of the media player 1.7.3 contains many new features and a series of bug fixes and enhancements which include:
Amazon MP3 Store
This new extension in the Banshee provides a source from which users can browse, search, preview, purchase and download music from the Amazon MP3 store in all countries where it is located.
Amazon MP3 Downloader
The support for Amazon MP3 is not limited just to the store. If you decide to purchase music through your regular web browser, Amazon MP3 will provide a .amz file, a sort of playlist that indicates how the MP3s can be downloaded.
Banshee now associates itself with these .amz files and will download and import the MP3s referenced in them.
Miro Podcast Directory
A new Miro podcast directory has been implemented in Banshee 1.7.3. The source integrates with miroguide.com, allowing users to discover, stream and subscribe to podcasts.
Other major enhancements in the new Banshee 1.7.3 includes:
- Item counts in the status bar are now culturally formatted.
- Improved downloading and visual refreshing of new cover art.
- Visual tweaks to the grid view album artwork hover effect.
- Developers: new Banshee.WebBrowser API for creating embedded WebKit web browsers and sources. Currently used
- by the new Amazon MP3 store, Miro Guide, and the Wikipedia context pane.
- Developers: new Hyena.Downloader API for performing downloads and easy HTTP operations: HttpFileDownloader, HttpStringDownloader, etc.
- Distributors: the webkit-sharp dependency was dropped, and instead we now take a dependency directly on libwebkit 1.2.2+ for the new Banshee.WebBrowser API.
It is available for download on most of the popular Linux distros including OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian and Mandriva. It is also available for Mac OS X. You can download it for your Linux distro or Mac platform from the downloads page.