Autodesk recently announced that they would be releasing an iOS app version of their AutoCAD software, and now its officially available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the App Store.
AutoCAD WS is essentially a dumbed down version of the PC software that will provide you with at least the most basic features of viewing, sharing, and editing DWG files. Special toolbars will allow you select distance measurement, shape creation, and text functions. You will be able to scale, move, and rotate objects, and also have access to layers, image underlays, and external references.
In order to get the DWG files from your AutoCAD desktop software to the AutoCAD WS iOS app, you will be able to upload the file to a free online storage account known as “AutoCAD WS online workspace”. This will, of course, enable multiple users to work on the same file simultaneously. Below is a full list of features and more screenshots.
You can download the free AutoCAD WS mobile iOS app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad here.
From Autodesk Inc:
• Open DWG drawings uploaded to your free* AutoCAD WS online workspace
• See all aspects of your DWG file, including external references, layers, and image underlays
• Use Multi-Touch zoom and pan to more easily navigate very large drawings
• Tap objects to select, then move, rotate, and scale
• Draw or edit shapes with accuracy using Snap and Ortho modes
• Add and edit text annotations directly on your device; no need for paper mark-ups
• Validate distance measurements in the drawing while you are onsite at the actual location
• Save your edits to your AutoCAD WS online workspace, so your drawings stay up to date
• Share designs with others directly from your device
• Work with other people on the same DWG file simultaneously
• View edits to drawings in real time: AutoCAD WS immediately captures changes made by you and others in your online workspace.