XBMC Media Center formely known as Xbox Media Center is the free & open center cross plateform media player for Windows , Mac, Linux & Microsoft Xbox. Its highly initiative user interface to manage videos, photos, podcast & music right from Computer, optical disc, local network, and the internet using a remote control has made it popular among living room TV fanatics.
Here is good news for XBMC lover, The XBMC team has successfully ported XBMC to Apple TV 2, iPhone & iPad with its first ARM based release. Here are few details of XBMC port for Apple TV 2, iPhone & iPad
1. Full XBMC install, this is not a remote or thin client streamer.
2. No longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes.
3. Who wants transcoded video anyway?
4. Share files on your network your way.
5. Full hardware decode for 720p/1080p movies.
6. Everything else you know and love about XBMC.
No wonder XBMC wont be available in App store as it directly competes with Apple Products but with jailbroken iPhone, iPad & Apple TV 2 you can easily install XBMC with following instructions,
How to Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 iOS 4.2.1
$ ssh root@<your ATV2 IP adress>
root@<your ATV2 IP adress>’s password: ”enter your password here, it should be “alpine” if you havent changed it”
$ echo “deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
XBMC on Apple TV 2
How to Install XBMC on iPhone & iPad iOS 4.2.1
1. Launch Cydia on your iPhone/iPad
2. Go to Manage – > Sources -> Edit & Add http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/ as new Cydia source
3. Go to teamXBMC repo and tap XBMC-iOS to install
4. Thats it, exit cydia and start XBMC from your home menu
XBMC on iPhone/Ipad