I have reviewed a good number of applications that let us stream the media on our computer via a handheld device. A recent one which I discovered was Subsonic that did an excellent job of letting users stream their computer’s songs through their iPhone and iPod devices.
But if we can stream the file on our computer, why should we restrict ourselves to just media files?
That was the question thought of by the developers of today’s tool. They concluded that there was no reason for users to be unable to remotely access any file on their computers; they worked on their conclusion and resultantly “Here File File” was created.
Here File File lets Mac users make all the files stored on their computer accessible via their iPhone or iPod. Requirements for Here File File are iPhone OS 3.0 or later and Mac OS 10.5 or greater.
The main features of Here File File are:
- A simple setup: The OS X app takes care of everything for you.
- Connect to as many Macs as you like
- Connect locally or outside your home network
- Browse all of the files and folders on your Mac
- A rich browsing experience with preview thumbnails and label support
- Search your entire Mac quickly, filter search results by file type
- Favorite a file to easily get back to it at any time
- Email your files via an attachment or link (for large files)
The application is sized at 1.6MB and is available from the Apple Store for $9.99. Personally I believe that price to be a little high but until a better and cheaper alternative becomes available, this application will benefit users most.