Paint.NET is an award winning free image editing software application for Windows OS. It has an interactive and intuitive UI with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects and variety of powerful tools. It initially started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool.
Improvements in the Latest Version Paint.NET 3.5.5:
- Improved the performance of the Gaussian Blur effect by 30-40%.
- Improved the performance of all the layer blending modes by 15-30%.
- Improved the performance of zooming with the mouse wheel on dual-core Intel Atom systems.
- Updated to support .NET 4.0 if no other version of .NET is installed.
- Reduced download size from 4.8MB down to 3.5MB.
You can find out the latest features on the official website.